Friday 9 September 2011

Initial gameplay with MAME4droid

So the first few games I've tried seem to work well with
MAME4droid running on my Viewsonic g-tablet.  It's also compatible with my aftermarket rom, Vegantab.  My main problem at the moment is with my wiimote.  Only the directional pad, A, and the back button seem to register.  The wiimote is new and all the buttons show up when pressed in the wiimote controller app, so I'm doubting the problem is with the controller.  But when I try to define them in MAME4droid's settings, pressing 1, 2, +, -, or Home does nothing.  Could be a case of RTFM :)

1 comment:

  1. Working great with my Samsung Epic and the Game Gripper. The only issues I've found so far are very minor: the digital emulation of analog is a little fast and I haven't figured out how to configure it (no Tab key on my phone's keyboard) so for example, on Omega Race I couldn't enter my initials, and the emulated analog sound effects on Phoenix were reversed in frequency (the siren sounds that go high to low went low to high and vice versa). That's not a regular MAME bug, or if it is, it was fixed between 0.37b11 and the 1.40 I have installed on my laptop.

    Oh yeah, and the aftermarket Donkey Kong mod kit "D2K", with 8 levels instead of 4, isn't supported, but that's because of the older MAME version as well. Maybe I'll compare the two versions and submit a patch just for that.

    But to have MAME on my phone and have it actually be useful (and in fact, the audio's less glitchy on my phone than on my laptop, except when texts come in) is life-altering. Seriously, Angry Birds is fun and all, but if I have 10 minutes to kill I'm way more likely to pull out my phone (and Game Gripper) for Moon Cresta, Donkey Kong or Mappy.

    ReplyDelete